Monday, May 28, 2012

Again with the Farmhaus

Let me say that for the price, Farmhaus has some great food. I know that you can pay more at other restaurants but at Farmhaus, someone who makes less than $28K a year can have a nice night out and be treated like royalty. Not only were we treated nicely, but I asked to sit at the bar where we had perfect view of the kitchen.



In fact, the out of focus server coming up towards the camera was our server for the night. His name, as listed on the receipt was: Scratches. So, after a pleasant conversation with Scratches, we ordered our drinks, in this case, a bottle of their brew, specifically brewed for them. This one was called "Perennial Brew for the Crew".


The driver of that tractor, with the fish in his hand, was modeled after the head chef of Farmhaus. How cool is that? This drink was good, a nice medium bodied, full-flavored beer. Perfect for all of the pork products that I could envision eating from the menu.

We started our meal with their version of Scotch Eggs: Huevo Ranchero.

This was a large perfectly cooked egg inside of a sausage and bread crumb breading. There was a little micro-green salad, some awesomely tasty bean sauce on the bottom with some cotija cheese all around. This was big and good, a good size for two people to share. It was a good 4 out of 5 stars.

My wife ordered a fish dish showing off Halibut.
Besides the fact that my wife loved it so much that she tried to get as much of that sauce as she could, I liked it as well. More and More when we go out, I try some seafood. Now, to be honest, some of it I like and some of it I don't like but I don't feel bad about it because at least I have tried it. In this case again, I liked the fish. It had these large pieces of sausage along with it which went well with the seafood. A 4 out of 5 stars.

Now it was time for my take. I ordered the Pig Toast to start off my night.
The description on the menu said "Pig Toast" with the words "Butcher Sauce" under that. I had really no idea, but it said "Pig" in its name so it has to be good, right? This is what came out. It was a toasted bread with a pork sausage-like patty on it. On top of that was something reminiscent of a chicken salad and I still have no idea what it was and then some lemon greens on top. Sure, the toast may look burned in some areas, but that didn't take away anything from this dish and in some cases, added more to it. Each bite was first experienced with the hard crunch of the toast and then a perfectly melt in your mouth tenderness from the pork and finally cooled off with the white sauce on top and the greens. I would compare it to eating a piece of warmed foie gras on toast, with a lemon or acid on top to help fight the richness. A perfect 4 out of 5 for me.

I also then after this, received the Berkshire Porchetta. As Scratches told us, this was their version of a Korean steam bun and this one was filled with the most delicious BBQ pork as ever. This was a very tasty dish as well.
See those giant and fluffy white steamed buns? What about that perfectly cooked pork, complete with that super tender and melt in your mouth pork fat. Ahhhhhhhhh. (Insert sound or image of Patrick Star with mouth open and drooling.) So good, only wishing that places like Wei Hong would carry this steam bun. This one gets a 4 out of 5 for me again.

So, if you are in the South City area, please go to Farmhaus. They get the best local and seasonal goods for their food.

PS: I didn't list it up there, but this is the only restaurant that I have ever been to that allowed you to purchase beers for the kitchen staff. That's right, I added 3 beers onto my bill, and even watched the chef who was expediting orders take a swig or two out of his Corona. What better way to guarantee that your food would be delicious, than to allow the kitchen and dish-room crew to drink while they work.

No comments:

Post a Comment